A cool, refreshing sweet treat is the perfect way to top off your next BBQ or picnic, so we’ve rounded up some healthy and easy desserts to help you beat the heat all summer long!
Berry frozen yogurt
This homemade frozen yogurt is the perfect way to kick off your summer. No ice cream machine required and the best part – no added sugar!
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt low-fat, Greek or full fat
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon or vanilla (optional)
- In a food processor or blender, add frozen berries, yogurt and honey. Blend for 2 minutes or until the mixture is creamy.
- Serve soft or transfer to an airtight freezable container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight
- Store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks
Homemade fruit popsicles
Try making your own popsicles! All you need is a blender and popsicle mold. Made with simple ingredients and your favourite fruits, these popsicles can be frozen for up to thee months.
- 3/4 cup juice or yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups fruit
- 4 – 6 tbsp honey (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Add all ingredients to the blender in the ingredients order listed
- Blend for 50 – 70 seconds, or until the mixture is smooth
- Evenly distribute the mixture into the six wells of a popsicle mold
- Secure the lids and sticks on top of the mold and place in the freezer for 8 hours or overnight
- Remove the molds, run each one under hot water for 30 seconds and then release the popsicle
- Place them in an airtight, freezer-friendly container or Ziploc bag until you are ready to enjoy them
Tip: To freeze for later, once the popsicles are removed from the molds place them on a baking sheet and pop them back into the freezer for 30 minutes to flash freeze them.
You can never go wrong with the traditional strawberry shortcake. It’s light, delicious and one of the easiest desserts recipes to prepare. This strawberry shortcake recipe is sure to be a go-to all summer long while strawberries are in abundance!
- 32 oz. quart strawberries sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 oz. sponge cake dessert cups (12 dessert cups)
- One 7 oz. can of whipped cream
- Wash and dry the strawberries
- Set aside 6 strawberries to use as toppers
- Slice the remaining strawberries into halves or quarters
- Place the sliced strawberries into a container, toss with sugar and place a lid on top. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place six dessert cake cups onto a different serving plate. Add whipped cream to each sponge cake and top with the sliced strawberries.
- Add the second sponge cake and top off with more cream and a strawberry and enjoy!
Which summer dessert recipe was your favourite? Take a picture of your treat and tag us on social media @UHNfoundation.